Friday, October 16, 2009

Since When Are Hetero Marriages Under Attack?

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
Wow what a "nice" man letting us colored folk use his bathroom and all. Does this sound familiar? Any person part of a marginalized group can certainly relate to hearing this type of attitude.

A Justice of the Peace (oh the irony) in Louisiana refuses to issue marriage licenses for interracial couples. Yeah I had to check my calendar as well - cuz I thought I was stuck in some weird time warp back to 1959. Before the Loving v. Virginia ruling. He claims to be concerned about any future offspring of these couples. Well first of all people don't have to be married to procreate - so before he breaks out into "The Greatest Love Of All" he might want to remember that.

It sounds as if he's only interested in preserving a racial hierarchy. This definitely reminds me of the refusal of officials to sign and issue licenses to LGBT couples in CA during the height of the Prop 8 war. This is why it's so important to fight for justice across the board - not just for topics of particular interest to you as an individual. Remember love is a battlefield to some who'd like to deny consenting adults the right to choose who they love. Some laws are designed to protect us from discriminatory practices. This should serve as a reminder how important the enforcement of those laws are.
Bookmark and Share
TwitThis

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hey there!!

Back from a cold medicine induced haze to some utter stupidness - ah well a day in the life of the innawebs I guess!

Something stinks about this whole thing - even the dumbest of racists aren't this stupid. Methinks that this bonehead found a way to get himself in the papers in response to Rush not getting the NFL bid (Rush caint have the Rams, you caint have our wimmens!!).

But, too bad so sad, a little boy with effed up parents and a silver balloon took his spotlight.

The powers that be will come down on him, he will issue the license under duress and all will be ok in Toothless-ville......